A Profession tax comes under the Karnataka Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings and Employments Act, 1976. Business owners, working individual’s, merchants and people carrying out various occupations comes under the purview of this tax.
Professional tax is imposed by the State Government it is revenue source for the government. Any person who is engaged in any Profession, trade, callings or employment in the State of Karnataka and includes.
1. Hindu undivided family
5. Other Corporate bodies
6. Any Society
7. Any Club or Association
Professional tax rate slab only for salary/wage earned (Karnataka)
|Less than 10000||Nil|
Exemption under professional Tax as shown below:
1. Except Bangalore and Bangalore Rural District, all Nursing Home and Charitable and philanthropic hospitals located in places below the taluk level in all districts of the State.
2. Directors of Companies registered in Karnataka and nominated by the financing agencies owned or controlled by the State Government or by other statutory bodies.
3. Foreign technicians employed in the State provided their appointments are approved by the Government of India for the purpose of exemption from payment of income tax for the said Period ( exemption is for a period of 2 years from the date of their joining duty).
4. Combatant and civilian non combatant members of the Armed Forces who are governed by the Army Act, the Navy Act and the Air Force Act.
5. Blind persons Salary or wages earned are exempted.
6. Dumb and Deaf persons salary or wages earned are exempted.
7. Holders of permits of single taxi or single three wheeler goods vehicle.
8. Teaching Kannada or English Shorthand or Typewriting Institutes..
9. A Physically handicapped person not less than 40% of permanent Disability (subject to production of certificate from the HOD of Government Civil Hospital).
10. An ex-serviceman not falling under Sl No.1 of the Schedule.
11. A person having single child and who has undergone sterilization operation, subject to production of a certificate from the District Surgeon, Government Civil Hospital, for having undergone such operation.
12. Central Para Military Force (CPMF) Personnel.
Documents required for Registration Purposes:
Who requires Registration
Documents Required for Registration
Time Frame (Working Days)
|1||Business owners, working individuals, merchants and people carrying out various occupations comes under the purview of this tax.||Employer Registration: